Western Pacific Naval Symposium
It is a multilateral cooperation dialogue that established in 1988 aimed at mutual trust, increased understanding and maritime security cooperation in the Western Pacific region. Discussion items include pending issues regarding maritime security(transnational threat, counter-piracy, smuggling, disaster, SLOC protections, etc), safety, environment and naval cooperations.
※ Schedule of WPNS 2018 : 12th October(FRI)
- During the 9th International Seapower Symposium held in October of 1987 in United States, an agreement was reached to regularize an official meeting involving Chiefs Of Naval Operations from the Western Pacific region as participants of the meeting raised the need for mutual cooperation between navies from the Western Pacific region.
- The WPNS has been held on a biennial basis since the 1st WPNS was held in Australia in January 1988.
- On the sidelines of the regular session, the working session has been held for working-level cooperation annually since 1992.
Member states(A total of 27 nations)
- Full member states(21 nations)
- Republic Of Korea, Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Japan, Russia, Singapore, Thailand, Tonga, United States, Vietnam, France, Canada, Chile, Peru
- Observer(6 nations)
- India, Bangladesh, Mexico, Pakistan, Colombia, United Kingdom
- WPNS has held a regular session between CNO from full member states on a biennial basis and working-level session annually. Subordinate activities under WPNS are as follows.
- - Establish guidelines for disaster response and Code for Unplanned Encounters At Sea
- - Hold naval medical seminars and International maritime information sharing conferences, etc.
- - Execute Senior Officer/Junior Officer/MCPON-class exchange program, etc
- - Conduct diving exercise and submarine rescue exercise, etc